Ryan’s Revolution?

So many things going through my mind right now: what to work on, what to do, what to write. It truly is the most frustrating feeling in life. The “Untitled 1” document begs for my attention. “Le Triangle” is playing through my headphones now, not helping to drown out distractions. Jackie’s sitting next to me, wanting so badly for me to answer any questions she has. Still nothing is getting done.

Jackie’s laptop background shows a news headline with the infamous picture of a Chinese man standing in front of a tank battalion. Truly an “Icon of the Revolution,” as the title states.

This brings to my focus thoughts already on my mind. Am I standing firm in front of Satan’s battalion of demons? Or am I running for the hills with Jim and Barbara? How would I even know? My eyes have not been opened to the spiritual realm as Elisha’s had been. So I raise this question: what is, if any, the way to measure revolutionary joy and love output?

Now, I want to make myself clear: I am not talking about simply loving the people around me or even just emitting the aura of love. What I mean is, what is the inward change that occurs where we can look back later on and say, “Aha! That’s when I started having this kind of joy and love.” For me, I caught a glimpse of that on August 1, 2005 when I prayed to have Christ’s forgiveness pay for my sins and to have a relationship with Him. Where did it go? Quite honestly, I believe it was gone before I knew it. That kind of joy and love rekindled to about 50% when I found a body of believers with whom to be involved. But even that has dried up a bit.

Since then, having joy has been an inward struggle. Outwardly, it’s easy to pull off. However, God does promise to change us from the inside out: first, by giving us such a love which we can’t help but feel complete and can then give where we had only taken; and second, by giving us the hope that He will make us complete in the Day of the Lord and by giving us good works for us to step into.

Well, anyway, this will be the topic for my blog going forward. I need to get back to my book report and to digesting all that I heard during the XSI 2009. Speaking of which, what a great XSI! I really need to go back and re-write my notes some more, in addition to changing out my music so that I can listen to Joni’s and Lee’s speeches, as I missed those ones.  Thanks Joel for encouraging me to get on Blogging to help my horrible writing skills.

Ta-ta!

This entry was posted in Revolutionary Joy and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Ryan’s Revolution?

1. lbeech says:

Ry,

Cool seeing you blog – as for XSI – you must listen to Joni – she conveyed clinging dependence on the Lord in a word or two – far better than I could ever hope to in hundreds. Her devotion to her Lord is transparent.

2. ryan.l says:

Yeah I heard alot of good things about Joni’s teaching, cant wait for it to be posted.

3. Rick Yoerger says:

It was cool hanging out and talking with you at the Swearingen’s pool XSI Thursday night Ryan. Although, frankly I forget what we were talking about! Maybe you can refresh my memory? 😉

4. Jackie says:

You’re better than you think, chispa.

5. Jackie says:

…a better writer, that is. Thank you for posting this.

6. kmcc says:

Let’s change this blog to “Lie on Rye”, shan’t we? It’s all a matter of getting up to fight the good fight. Now as I recall, you’re leading a Cell Group with important “youngsters” in it. Isn’t it possible to win in the Cell? If you’re not able to win, it’s quite difficult to be joyous, I agree. But when you begin winning again, you’ll find yourself overwhelmed with the joy of Victorious Love Output, oh my brother.

7. ryan.l says:

I dont think winning or losing is what I was talking about. It is a good point you bring up and I agree that it is easier to be joyous when you are winning and having victory and that it is hard to be joyous when going through difficulties. This is a good example of what I am talking about. Is the only time I am joyous is when things are going well? I think so and thats LAME.
    There is a hard decision, yet an easy one, to rejoice that we are saved. My tendency is to only think about this when things are not going so well, and its rarely the first thing that comes to mind. I thought this was quite eye opening for myself.

8. ryan.l says:

Rick,
    Hey yeah we were talking about having joy at work. And how we are reflecting our joy to people at work. I think you were talking about a specific dude that you were struggling with, hows that going? I too am struggling at work to be joyous. Corporate america really isnt a breading ground for joy.

9. Rick Yoerger says:

Thanks for that reminder Ryan!
    The only thing that lifts me out of the ‘lack of joy stupor at work’ is when I begin to think about how I can make my way into some of those folks lives and talk real life. I mean it certainly isn’t going to be the work I do day in and day out. Well, I must be thankful though that that job makes me a fairly good living without burning me out too much.
    I’m currently reading the book, “The Shack”. My bicycle buddy at work read it and he said it was thought provoking. He said I should read it based on prior conversations we have had. Hopefully that’ll continue. He is a Catholic.

10. kmccallum says:

Who is “Jim and Barbara” ..?

You say, “I dont think winning or losing is what I was talking about.” But how wrong you are! Because our joy is intimately connected to our victory. No, it’s not at all lame to think joy is tied to victory–quite the opposite, only a loser would be joyous about losing!

Your problem, Lie on Rye, is that you’re disregarding the victories Christ is trying to lead you into because, like the rest of us, there is a little problem called ingratitude which seriously dampens joy.